"What major should I pursue? What does a career path in biology look like? Is a marketing job right for me? How important is graduate school to my career success?"
Today's SRJC students could use someone to talk to about these questions and so many more. We hope that someone can be you!
Through the SRJC Mentoring Program, you have an opportunity to provide career advice on topics ranging from networking, job searching, interviewing, balancing life obligations and other life-skills knowledge to SRJC students in every academic area. The program also gives SRJC alumni a way to keep in touch with the College and to share their experiences with the next generation.
How do I sign up?
SRJC's Mentoring Program utilizes the Career Center's Job Board through College Central. If you are a first time user, please follow these instructions:
- Go to www.collegecentral.com/santarosa.
- Click on the icon labeled Alumni
- If you have not created an account, do so now (even if you are not planning to use the site to search for jobs).
- Select "Submit Information" when you have finished.
- After you see the message "Registration Complete", select My Home Page.
- Scroll down on the home page to Career Mentoring Network and choose the link for Become a Career Mentor.
- Password/code is mentor.
- Click on the link for Add My Profile.
- Complete the profile form.
- Be as complete as possible! The information is very valuable to students as they develop their career goals. Please keep your profile current as your job changes or contact information changes.
- Make a note of the Mentoring Network password and the personal Access ID and Password you created for yourself.
If you have registered for SRJC's online job board already, your access to the Mentoring Network is available to you through the links on your Alumni Central homepage. Sign in to your account through the Alumni icon and select the Mentoring Network. Use the password mentor to join.
What does a mentor provide?
There are different ways SRJC alumni mentors can contribute to the success of our students and alumni:
- Provide one-on-one career mentoring and advice in-person, over the phone, or over email.
- Conduct practice interviews in-person, over the phone, or through video.
- Prepare job seekers as they enter job fairs.
- Speak in classrooms or at career forums to share your career path and advice.
- Host a job shadow or company visit at your place of work.
- Welcome or offer insights into your degree with prospective students.
As an SRJC alumni mentor, you are expected to abide by our code of conduct:
- Accept mentoring requests in the online system within one week.
- Exercise patience with students and alumni at different stages in their academic or professional development.
- Communicate honestly, but respectfully with students, alumni and staff.
- Know your limitations and refer to College resources when asked about areas outside of your expertise.
- Address mistakes made by mentees and find teachable moments.
- Use the service only for professional mentoring interactions with mentees and fellow mentors. No solicitation for products, services, or events not related to career mentoring is allowed.
- Maintain a current mentor profile and email address.
- Represent SRJC with integrity.
SRJC reserves the right to terminate a mentor or mentee due to misconduct or misuse of the program. If you have questions about the SRJC Mentoring Program, please contact us at email@example.com or 707-527-4348.